This story is available exclusively to Business Insider subscribers.
Become an Insider and start reading now.
- Healthcare startups just had a record quarter, netting $18.1 billion from investors, CB Insights reported.
- Lots of cash flowed into companies in digital health, therapeutics, and medical devices.
- In total, the 7 most active venture capital firms in healthcare made 67 investments in healthcare startups.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Healthcare startups just had a record quarter, netting $18.1 billion from investors, just as many of their services became critical during the coronavirus pandemic, according to a new industry report by CB Insights.
Areas like mental health, therapeutics and biotech, and medical devices each had record quarters, as measured by the number of deals or the amount of cash that flowed into the sector, the report said.
Thanks to the record quarter, there are now 46 “unicorns,” or healthcare startups valued at more than $1 billion, worldwide, according to the report. The top 10 deals overall included a wide variety of healthcare companies, from hot health insurance startups like Oscar Health to biotech Sana, which is pursuing a new approach to cell-based medicine, per CB Insights.
Here are the 7 most active venture capital firms in healthcare, and which companies they invested in, according to the report. The list excludes incubators and accelerators.
Innovation The 7 most active venture capital firms in healthcare made 67 unique bets on these startups:
- Perceptive Advisors, which has $7.3 billion under management, invested in 4D Molecular Therapeutics, AsclepiX Therapeutics, Atea Pharmaceuticals, C4 Therapeutics, Athira Pharma, CereVasc, Compass, DNAnexus, Dynacure, Nautilus Biotechnology, and Omada Health.
- The more than $4.5 billion firm GV, which is Alphabet’s venture arm, is also backing DNAnexus, plus Accent Therapeutics, Aledade, Cerevance, Insitro, Owkin, PatientPing, Sana Biotechnology, SQZ Biotech, Ventus Therapeutics, and Verve Therapeutics.
- F Prime Capital shares bets with GV on Owkin, PatientPing, Sana, and Verve. Other investments included Arvelle Therapeutics, Avalyn Pharma, Checkmate Pharmaceuticals, NFlection Therapeutics, NodThera, SonderMind, and Rallybio. It has more than $2 billion under management.
- Bpifrance, also invested in Dynacure and Owkin, plus ABC Transfer, BOT Design, Defymed, Ekinnox, H4D, Multiwave Imaging, Ona Therapeutics, and SeaBeLife.
- Polaris Partners shares a bet with GV in SQZ Biotech. The firm, which doesn’t disclose its assets under management, is backing Ankyra Therapeutics, Dyno Therapeutics, Glympse Bio, Navitor Pharmaceuticals, Pandion Therapeutics, QurAlis, and Suneva Medical.
- The $4.9 billion VC Arch Venture Partners also invested in Insitro, Sana, and Verve, as well as Autobahn Therapeutics, Erasca, JW Therapeutics, Mindstrong, and Nutcracker Therapeutics.
- Johnson & Johnson Innovation is backing Carrot Health, Checkpoint Surgical, Cue, GATT Technologies, Histosonics, RefleXion, and ViaCyte and shares a bet with Polaris Partners on Navitor.